First of all, congratulations are in order for taking the leap of breaking away from the bustling life of corporate work and setting a small garden office for yourself! No more wasted hours in traffic on the commute or on the subway every day, no more spending time away from your family! You can make good use of your small garden office on your own schedule and start a new chapter!
But there might be a few villains lurking in the garden! Yes, spiders and bugs but also a few dangerous plants and flowers that you should stay away from. Growing them in your garden or very near to your small garden office might prove tricky or even risky. Let’s go over the list!
There are many reasons why people love cultivating English Yew in their own backyards. First of all, they are tick and beautiful creating the perfect look for a dense and gorgeous set of shrubberies or hedges. Not to mention that they are absolutely glorious in wintertime covered in snow because English Yew looks a little like pine. It also produces small, red berries that give it an extra Christmasy look.
Apart from that, it is also super resistant when it comes to all sorts of conditions. Once you plant it, it will stand through drought, soggy soil, sun, and everything else.
However, English Yew is highly poisonous. Every single bit of it, meaning leaves, berries, and their seeds are not fit to be consumed or touched. In fact, even rabbits and deer stay away from it.
This means that English Yew is trouble if you have children or pets who want to spend some time with you in the garden or your small garden office. Don’t let them near this shrub!
The name alone should give you a clue that this particular flower shouldn’t really be in your garden. Which is a shame because Devil’s Trumpet produces a set of beautiful, white flowers that would look great in a vase in your small garden office.
However everything about this flower is poisonous. Its leaves, flowers, and seeds have a very high amount of poison which can prove deadly if ingested. In fact, specialists warn about not even smelling the flowers because the smell alone can damage you. Therefore, Devil’s Trumpet is, in fact, considered a weed.
Yes, you read that correctly. What are these beautiful flowers doing on the list of dangerous plants for me and my small garden office you might ask? Well, as gorgeous as they are, the plants are insanely toxic. Specialists report that ingesting any part of this plant, be it the flowers, leaves or stems will alter the rhythm of your heart, blur your vision, and stress your digestive system.
And even if you don’t ingest them, they are still a nuisance. In fact, lily of the valley is so poisonous, it cannot be grown together with other flowers because the earth it lives in becomes toxic for other plants as well. Therefore, lilies of the valley? Better not!
Here’s another beautiful flower that you might be tempted to decorate your small garden office with. Monkshood produces tall, purple blossoms that look a bit like irises. However, if we were to rank garden flowers according to how toxic they are, monkshood would take the cake for sure.
The flower has not one but several toxins that are deadly if ingested. They can cause heart attacks as well as deadly respiratory failures. Apart from that, specialists warn never to handle monkshood with your bare hands because simply touching it is dangerous for the skin.
Here’s a fun fact. Monkshood is also known as wolfsbane. If that sounds familiar that’s because ‘wolfsbane’ is the name of a potion in Harry Potter used against werewolves!
Here’s another one that might surprise you. We’re sure that you’ve had rhubarb pie or cobbler before. So how can it be dangerous for you? It’s simple, really. The red stalks that people use to cook and bake with are sweet and delicious. They’re also safe to eat.
However, it’s the leaves that are very rich in oxalic acid. Should you eat them, you would feel your mouth and throat burning. After which, once in your system, they will cause your kidneys to fail and make you feel nauseated. The leaves can also be deadly provided you eat enough of them, so just make sure you pay attention when handling rhubarb!
Here’s another very beautiful yet very dangerous flower. Oleander is, in fact a bush that might look extremely pretty next to your small garden office. It produces dark green leaves that look almost lacey as well as large blooms that come in creamy white, yellow, pink, and red. Not to mention that the flowers smell like apricots.
However, the entire oleander plants is extremely poisonous. If you eat just a small quantity of its flowers, leaves or the black nuts it makes, you will vomit and die very quickly.
Apart from that, oleander bushes are not to be handled with your bare hands because any contact with its flowers or its leaves will give you rashes and irritations. You should also not burn oleander bushes and inhale the smoke because it’s very toxic.
They are perennials and they look extremely dramatic with their red blooms. But be aware because the small, red thorns are nature’s way of warning you to keep clear of the Castor bean plant!
The entire flower is rich in ricin which is deadly. The seeds have the highest concentration so make sure you don’t come into contact with them. You are also advised to stay away from the pollen this plant produces because it causes bad allergies.
What about you? Do you have any of these dangerous plants in your garden? If so, how do you handle them? Or were you planning on planting them next to your small garden office or your veranda? Let us know your thoughts in the comment section below!