So you want a garden cabin. We get it. Who wouldn’t? Gardening is now trendier than ever. Plus a lot of people are choosing the comforts of working from home rather than bustling every day through traffic or crowded subways to get to work. You might have also seen some garden cabins UK style and thought just how amazing they would look as a personal space in your backyard.
But hold your horses because there are a few questions you should ask yourself before you commit to a serious act of hardscaping. Here are the basics of garden cabins UK and what you need to know about them.
Do You Need or Do You Want a Garden Cabin?
Think about it this way. How many times have you found yourself at the register or in front of a website holding a credit card asking yourself this exact question? Do I really need this or am I just humoring myself?
Garden cabins UK are no different a purchase. Consider these factors.
- How often will you actually use this cabin?
- Will it be just for you or can your family use it as well?
- Will you host parties in there or entertain friends at a barbecue, for example?
- Is it going to be a storage space, a place where you will do yoga or a working space?
- If it is a storage space what will you keep in there? And couldn’t you keep it in the main house?
The answers to all these questions will help you decide a lot easier what you want. For example, if you are planning on bringing your friends over, then you might not need garden cabins UK at all. What you’re looking for is a BBQ hut.
Where will You Place this Garden Cabin?
When talking about location, the first thing you need to consider is what your zoning laws actually allow. First make sure you have permission to erect a garden cabin in your backyard.
Secondly, if permission is granted, ask how tall it can be. Some residential neighborhoods, especially old ones that have historical houses impose very strict rules when it comes to annexes that might spoil the antiquated feel of the place.
Once all that is cleared, think about the purpose you are giving your gardens cabins UK. For example:
- If you love gardening and are already growing flowers, vegetables, and succulents in your backyard, you can place the cabin very close to the garden beds. In this way you will have all the tools you need right at your disposal.
- However, if you’re planning on relaxing or working in the garden cabin, then you might want to place it as far from the main house as possible. In this way, you won’t be distracted.
- Think about whether or not you want plumbing and power in your garden cabins UK. Then plan the proximity to your main house accordingly.
- How about trees? Do you have any in your backyard? If so they can provide a fantastic source of shade for your garden cabin if you place in right underneath. But they will also be very messy, so take that into account.
What Size a Cabin should You Get?
Of course, the number one criterion here will be your budget. Those of you out there for whom money is no concern, can look at any type of garden cabins UK you want. However, people with small wallets but big dreams will have to restrain the design a little.
Second of all, we need to go back to one of the arguments we made before. You may want a great, big cabin in your backyard. But if the local council or your neighbors don’t allow it, there’s nothing you can do. Ask first to see what size you are able to construct.
Thirdly, think about the purpose of the cabin to determine what size it should be. If you are planning on making it a storage cabin, then all your supplies, shelves, bins, and equipment need to fit smoothly. But don’t forget you will also need some space for a working surface as well as some furniture to store it all.
If you’re planning to relax or work in there, the garden cabin should be comfortable enough to move around without having to squeeze through furniture and tables. Don’t cram too many things in there and don’t buy one that’s too small. It will feel claustrophobic since you have to spend so much time in there!
Is the Interior Design up to me?
You can be sure of it! Of course, you can always hire an interior designer, especially if you’re planning on turning your gardens cabins UK into a home office, man cave or she cabin. We also have some great ideas on our website about this, so be sure to check them out!
However, you can do it by yourself. Just choose a theme you like the most or simply decorate the space with your favorite things. If this is a place for relaxing, choose soothing colors such as lavender or yellow. But if you’re planning on working in there, green and blue will get your motor running!
In case this will be your working cabin, organize all your tools in the best way possible. Add hooks, bins, boxes, and shelves and incorporate them in the design. The work surfaces can be foldable to save some space or you can go for permanent ones if you have enough room.
Hardscaping is not that difficult once you know all the basics of garden cabins UK. Our small yet comprehensive guide will start you off on the right path! But if you have any questions or ideas of your own you would like to add to the list, please let us know in the comment section below. Happy gardening!